Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Running with Ranger

I was upset last week so I took Ranger, my roommate's Siberian huskie, and we went on a long run. We ran down the red gravel road and took a right down a road into the huge Lewis ranch, where we had an exciting find, a dead pronghorn that he didn't want to leave. I was surprised at how obedient he was, listening to me when I wanted him to avoid horses and other dogs. Now we like running together every day, through red grass covered hills, next to ponds and past curious horses along fences. He is a beautiful dog, and I love the excitement he shows on each run, so I brought my camera along last night to capture some of it. I added some quotes from a few of my favorite authors and poets.

In solitude,
where we are least alone.
- Byron

These are the clouds about the fallen sun,
The majesty that shuts his burning eye:
The weak lay hand on what the strong has done,
Till that be tumbled that was lifted high
And discord follow upon unison,
And all things at one common level lie.
And therefore, friend, if your great race were run
And these things came, so much the more thereby
Have you made greatness your companion,
Although it be for children that you sigh:
These are the clouds about the fallen sun,
The majesty that shuts his burning eye.
-W.B. Yeats


'Tis with my mind
As with the tide swelled up onto his height,
That makes a still-stand, running neither way.
-William Shakespreare

They came running
with
guns
drawn
they came running
toward the king
- Don L.Lee

We may outrun
By violent swiftness that which we run at
and loose by over-running.
- William Shakespeare from "Henry VIII"

They built by rivers
and at night by water
running past windows
comforted by sorrow.
- W.H. Auden

The road became
a channel of running flocks
of glossy birds
like ripples over rocks.
-Robert Frost from "Our Singing Strength"

See how nature-trees, flowers,
grass-grows in silence;
see the stars, the moon and the sun,
how they move in silence...
we need silence to be able to touch souls.
- Mother Teresa

Why are there trees I never walk under...

...but large and
melodious thoughts descend upon me?
- Walt Whitman from "Song of the Open Road"

But the storm kept raging,
her passion burned itself to ashes,
no help was forthcoming.
- Gustave Flaubert from "Madame Bovary"

Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies above,
Don't fence me in.
Let me ride through the wide open country that I love,
Don't fence me in...


...Let me be by myself in the evenin' breeze,
And listen to the murmur of the cottonwood trees,
Send me off forever but I ask you please,
Don't fence me in.
- Bing Crosby

Great conversation...
requires an absolute
running of two souls
into one.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson from "Friendship"

No comments:

Post a Comment